The Oldest Anglican Church in Trinidad
dominickalipersad: The oldest Anglican church in Trinidad, the Trinity Cathedral, has 195 years of historic legacy.
The original church was a modest building that burnt to the ground in the Great Fire of Port-of-Spain in 1808.
By 1815, arrangements were made under the then Governor Sir Ralph Woodford to build the church at its present site, 30A Abercromby Street, after alternative plans to rebuild on what is today Woodford Square were rejected.
The new church was completed in 1823, and consecrated on Trinity Sunday of the same year.
In 1872, the Anglican Church in Trinidad became a diocese, and the Trinity Church was elevated to Trinity Cathedral. – Source: National Archives of Trinidad & Tobago.
MORE: History of the Anglican Diocese of T&T :- http://theanglicanchurchtt.com/home-page/history/ –
Donate to the Holy Trinity Cathedral Restoration Project: